Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A challenge

I saw an article in the August issue of Good Housekeeping about 5 women who went from over 200 lbs to their goal weights. No one did it in "six weeks!", but they all managed to reach their goals. I bet I can, too.

The trick is to couple exercise (I prefer dancing to music or an aerobic workout video) with eating right. Most of the time I do eat right, but then comes those days of bingeing. I know I can talk myself out of it, but I rarely do. ("I give myself very good advice but I very seldom follow it," sang Alice.)

So I'm calling my attempt to get to my goal weight my "anti-Alice" diet plan. I need to post some affirmations on the refrigerator door so I read them when I head in that direction. Maybe something like: A small bowl of strawberries helps me lose the weight and gain the goal. If my affirmations include what's in the fridge that's good for me, perhaps it will help me stay on track.

So today I weighed in at exactly 202 lbs. Today is day one.

Yay! I just walked one mile with the aerobic video "walk at home"! It feels good (but sweaty). Walking is supposed to be good for fibromyalgia. I have to admit it hurts some, but I'm not in a flare phase, so the pain is tolerable.

Oh! I forgot to put my goals down!
1) weigh 150lbs
2) wean off as many meds as possible
3) enjoy walking

Here's today's inspiration:

Grace Under Pressure
From Journey - a daily devotional by David Jeremiah

     Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches,
      in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.
      For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:10

Stress testing, fatigue testing, performance testing, load testing, destruction testing--they all mean the same thing:  pushing something beyond its designed capability to measure its capacity to withstand pressure and to discover its braking point.  If it breaks before reaching designed limits, it's back to the drawing board.
     God allows his children to undergo stress testing--like a treadmill cardiac stress test.  Cardiac tests are not designed to induce a heart attack resulting in a "breaking point," but they are designed to discover weaknesses in "the system."  when God allows us to undergo stress in our life, it is not to kill us, but to help us see our own human weaknesses--and turn to Him.  The apostle Paul had a "thorn in the flesh" that caused him great weakness and it forced him to avail himself of the grace of God (2 Corinthians 12: 7-10).  In fact, he said he now took pleasure in stress because "When I am weak, then I am strong."
     If you are experiencing stress in your life, embrace it as an opportunity to receive the grace of God. 



Today's affirmations (written on bright yellow paper and taped to the refrigerator):


I am willing to change.
I eat only what I need.
I choose to eat healthy foods.
I choose to stay on track.
I am committed to my goals.
I effortlessly stay on track.
I eat foods that support my new weight.
I eat like a thin person.
I treat my body with love and kindness.
My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
I am thankful for my body and choose to take care of it as a precious gift.


Breakfast:
1/2 egg, 1 slice turkey bacon, 1 piece of cinnamon toast with butter, 1 cup milk.

Lunch:
1 whole wheat tortilla, 2 oz chicken breast, 1 tbsp mayonaise, lettuce.

Snack:

Dinner:
1/2 half-pound hamburger with bacon and cheddar cheese, sweet potato fries



No comments:

Post a Comment